CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, January 19, 2009

22 Ways to Live Healthier in 2009

  1. Catnap. Take a 20-minute power nap to rejuvenate yourself when you feel tired, which is better than sleeping extra hours at night. It will keep your nervous or depressed emotions in check and reduce stress. Sleep in a sitting position if possible, which helps avoid a groggy feeling upon waking.
  2. Chew your food. If you don't you won't absorb your nutrients well and you'll get gas.
  3. Count your drinking. You need eight glasses of hydrating fluids a day (caffeinated and alcoholic beverages don't count). For each dehydrating drink you consume, drink a hydrating beverages such as water, milk or pure juice.
  4. Crunch. You can avoid a high percentage of lower-back problems if you build abdominal muscles.
  5. Delegate. Stress is the main contributor to depression, and too many activities can cause us to overload. Say no when people make requests that will overburden your schedule.
  6. Don't type hard. If you pound the keyboard or keep a tight grip on your mouse, you risk getting a repetitive strain injury.
  7. Drink in the afternoon. If you drink at least three big glasses of water between lunch and when you finish work you'll be combating the most common cause of fatigue: hypo hydration, or a dearth of body fluids.
  8. Drink more water in winter. Bowel irregularity and other symptoms due to diverticular disease of the colon are aggravated by the dehydrating effects of cold, dry weather.
  9. Eat carrots and spinach. Orange and dark green vegetables contain beta-carotene, which may enhance your immune system.
  10. Eat fish. Fish contains omega-3 fatty acids which may protect against heart disease.
  11. Eat meat. If you're under a lot of stress, eat low-fat, high protein foods such as lean meats or fish.
  12. Eat peanuts. Like olive oil, peanuts contain unsaturated fats that may reduce bad cholesterol.
  13. Get rid of carpeting in your home. Carpet is a haven for molds, bacteria and bugs.
  14. Have fun with a pet. Playing with a pet can lower your blood pressure and raise your spirits.
  15. If you're sick, sleep. Resting gives the body a chance to fight the bug.
  16. Jump up and down. You might feel ridiculous but your bones will love you for it!
  17. Laugh. It increases oxygen intake, thereby replenishing and invigorating body cells. It also increases the pain threshold, boosts immunity and relieves stress.
  18. Put your toothbrush in the dishwasher. The high heat will disinfect it.
  19. Stretch like a cat. Frequent bursts of feline like stretching will reduce muscle tension and pain.
  20. Take a tablespoon of ground flax daily. (Grind it up since the body can't digest whole flax.) Alternatively, take a Flax seed oil supplement. Flax is high in fibre and may reduce cholesterol levels.
  21. Use a drinking straw, especially with soda or juices. A straw decreases the amount of contact your teeth have with sugary beverages.
  22. Walk. A good walk clears your mind, relieves stress and can reduce headaches.
I found this list in my file folder that I save clippings on health and wellness. It's actually a list of 59 ways to Live Healthier in '99! I've saved this clipping for ten years, and now I get to share it with you. I went over the list and decided it was way too long to type out, so I just highlighted the best tips, since some of them were too vague or too specific for certain conditions.
I hope you've found this post helpful and have found some information that you may not have heard yet. For myself, I have found some good info to maintain and improve my health. Next post, I'm not sure what I will reporting, but if you have any suggestion for any kind of health/wellness topic, please feel free to post in the comments section.

p.s. I got a call from my sister who told me about this test from Dr. Oz, a real age test (click here) to find out your 'true age' according to the results of the test. Thanks Carol! I'm going to take my test now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i can hardly wait for 90 days to go by when they say to re-take the real age test and see if i do any better, 6.5 years younger is not too bad though, I'll take it!

it would be great if we humans could stick to all the "right" things to do to maintain ourselves, but it is a real workout sometimes(well for me in my 40's it seems more so than when i was 30)!

hope you accomplish all your goals for a fit you!

c

Unknown said...

I know what you mean C. I am always struggling to eat an extra piece of fruit or vegetable and trying to get myself to floss more than 3-4 times a week.
I didn't read the part about retaking the test in 90 days. I hope I can stick to my new goals and have a younger 'realage'.